Disdain for the Ordinary

"Sentinel Autumn"
watercolor 15 x 22 inches

I suppose it is possible to tell much about a person by the way he paints and the paths he or she chooses. In fact, in my own case, it seems my disdain for ordinary work is written all over me and my work (at least, I hope my work shows that!)

There are many paintings out there of the same tired subjects. Half Dome in Yosemite is, perhaps, an icon, but it is also in soooo many paintings that I try to avoid it. That isn't to say that it is a bad thing to paint. Again, it is HOW it is painted . . .NOT WHAT was painted.

Looking back at my last post, speaking about having the paint speak up as paint and not something else, that really is another comment about avoiding the obvious.

Sentinel Rock in Yosemite drew my attention for most of the week there . . .and I painted it multiple times. This time, I worked at letting the granulation of the pigment speak up. (click on the image to see it). The tall rock was shaped somewhat like this, but that is where the reality gave way to the paint and let the paint make its statements.

There are one or two more pieces to post from that trip. They'll appear soon.

Labels: , , , , , ,