Watercolor En Plein Air

"Three Graces"
watercolor, 15 x 22 inches


For many years I painted watercolors outdoors with friends. Some worked and some didn't. There was, however, a certain energy about the paintings that made them very recognizable from studio work.


Perhaps that energy is a result of the difficulty of painting with watercolor outside. I consider myself confident in executing an outdoor piece, but I must say that in spite of my confidence and speed of delivery, there is just something that keeps me in the studio. Plein air painting is a giant pain in the rear, if you know what I mean.
While I have worked out the kinks and the difficult processes of setting up and operating in a 'studio' outside, in the wind and blinding light, it is still a love / hate relationship for me.


While in Yosemite, I made, at least, one plein air piece per day . . . .and usually did a studio piece each day, as well. This piece, of the 'three graces' (I think that is the name) was one of those incredible days where every wash behaved, every color did what it was supposed to do and the wind only come along at the finish. Out in this meadow, near the base of El Capitan, the light sparkled on the edges of this giant set of rocks, while in the crevices the light hid in mysterious darks. The light coming through the yellowed trees at the base of the rockwalls were luminous. It was a blast to paint! But inside all of the processes, more lessons came forth which reminded me what I should be doing in the studio.


One of those lessons was to paint vertically if I want great washes. Having gravity naturally pull the pigment laden water down the page reveals granulations and effects one can never cause on a piece of paper, no matter how expert the painter might be. So, I am doing exactly that. I had forgotten how important it is and allowed the comfort of control to take over. Invariably, the discomfort of a painting getting 'out of hand' is when the great stuff shows up.


On to the next one! Let the paint flow downward.

Labels: , , , , , ,