Welcome to M.E. BAILEY ART . . . .

Here you will find adventures in painting. . . . Victories, absolute defeats, frustrations, highs, lows, lessons learned, commentary and thoughts from me and other artists.

As an art instructor, I don't wish to hide the fact that I crash and burn often. I will always be learning. So, it all gets shown here . . .good and bad. Every painting we do counts in the learning and experience process. The failures actually are much better teachers than successes. Every piece made is a teacher. That's the fun of it: the challenge to learn.

SEARCH FOR A WORD IN THE BOX TO THE RIGHT: COLOR, VALUE, PERSPECTIVE, IDEAS, MUSE, PLEIN AIR. . .ETC . . . .YOU'LL FIND PLENTY OF PAINTINGS AND IDEAS AS A RESULT. hAVE FUN!

Join in and comment or email me, if you would like.


Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Itching Continued


"Intersection at Walnut Ave."
oil on linen panel, 8 x 10 inches
Yesterday, I scrambled to get to Walnut Ave. to paint the light and the tree covered street. This street is historical in that all of the homes are old Victorian “painted ladies.” The street is like stepping into a painting with neatly trimmed landscaping, blooming blossoms and dappled light everywhere.

I picked a difficult one, yesterday. Dappled light is something I have never done before . . . .so I can see I have much to learn.

This piece presents one of those interesting space division challenges . . . .and am not sure that it really works that well. What I have in mind is a much more subdued sort of lighting, but the way the sun was reflecting off the pavement yesterday was dazzling. I had to use every bit of the little I understand about aerial perspective and color, as well as edges, to make this little painting work.

I have resolved to visit again, perhaps today, to consider a different angle of attack and a different composition. I still itch to capture that which is in my mind. I may never quite get there, but the practice is most precious. I can feel a few gains in understanding from yesterday’s experience. I hope I can capitalize on that.

3 comments:

-Don said...

Mike, Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving such generous encouragement. Not only was this well received, but it gave me the opportunity to discover an excellent artist. I've enjoyed reading thru your blog and am inspired by your desire to continually challenge yourself to try new things, while creating fabulous work. Kudos! Thanks again, -Don

Peggy Stermer-Cox said...

Hi Mike, I've been thinking about verticals and horizontals. I enjoyed looking at how you've used line direction and repetition to weave together your composition. I also like how you've used the power of suggestion.

Kathy said...

Mike, You REALLY captured the dappled light very well! The space division is good, and you succeeded in creating the effect through the use of yellows and violets. Nice!!