More Paint

"Squash Planes"
oil on linen on panel, 6" x 8"



I was sorely reminded, this morning, of yesterday's fiasco, as I took the spoiled canvas from the easel and was tempted to flip it like a frisbee accross the studio. I just put it away and began today's piece.


If nothing else, yesterday's attempt with a lot of whites taught me that I need MUCH more paint in my highlights. Somehow, the piling on of paint seems to brighten the highlight and the purity of color, if it isn't white. (I am quietly watching, Elio!).


On the other hand, I find myself much more comfortable painting thinner layers of paint. There is no substitution for the textures offered by impasto brushwork, however. . . . .which brings to mind the other question that has been nagging at me. . . . . .


"How do I know when my brushstrokes are "better" or "worse?" There must be a 'standard' of evaluation someplace. I know I have to work on this. Anyone have any help or thoughts?

Labels: ,