Welcome to M.E. BAILEY ART . . . .

Here you will find adventures in painting. . . . Victories, absolute defeats, frustrations, highs, lows, lessons learned, commentary and thoughts from me and other artists.

As an art instructor, I don't wish to hide the fact that I crash and burn often. I will always be learning. So, it all gets shown here . . .good and bad. Every painting we do counts in the learning and experience process. The failures actually are much better teachers than successes. Every piece made is a teacher. That's the fun of it: the challenge to learn.

SEARCH FOR A WORD IN THE BOX TO THE RIGHT: COLOR, VALUE, PERSPECTIVE, IDEAS, MUSE, PLEIN AIR. . .ETC . . . .YOU'LL FIND PLENTY OF PAINTINGS AND IDEAS AS A RESULT. hAVE FUN!

Join in and comment or email me, if you would like.


Monday, June 4, 2007

On Naming Things . . .


"Apples"
oil on linen on panel, 6" x 8"
SOLD


Sometimes, I chuckle to myself when I am painting. Sudden realizations show up at the silliest times. While doing this painting, I found myself saying "Oh, my Gosh! What color is the meat of an apple?! I never thought about it before this moment!" It 's funny that I still, after years of painting, have to have a name in my mind for a color. That is the left side of my brain working overtime. Other times, I will look at something and see that there are several colors there and know precisely how to mix them . . . .without naming anything.


Names of things get in our way as painters. The moment we name something, then it MUST be that THING . . . .instead of a shape of this color in that value. When we stop naming 'things' is when the creative muscles start to act . . .and that is when our paintings become something unusual. Letting go of names gives the freedom to compose without being "wrong."


Am working on the pinapple in a larger format. (See Saturday's post). I had to set it aside to do today's painting. The naming business showed up to try to trip me up in that painting. You'll see in a day or two what came out of that.

P.S. Carol Marine has been painting a long series of apples. Her work is really alive. I left her a note that you can almost smell the apples, yet one can sense her expert hand in each painting. In my opinion, the artist's hand (as I call it) is what sets her work apart from 'reality' and makes the ordinary and mundane very exciting. Check her out!

3 comments:

Debbie Miller said...

Nice work here Mike. Your colors are so clean and crisp. bravo. I also love those pineapple sketches! some great comps. there, you could do a series1

Mike said...

Thanks, Debbie. Regarding colors, I had to learn in the watercolor world not to use white. That experience has helped me a lot!

Regarding series of pinapple, you might be right. I work a lot in series . . .at least I have in the watercolor world. See my website. In fact, I have a third pinapple painting on the easel now!

Carol Marine said...

This is a beautiful peice, Mike! I agree with Debbie on the clean and crisp comment. Lovely. And thanks for the mention!!!