Some Days it Rains . . . .

"Eileen"
oil on gessoed masonite 6" x 8"
SOLD

I have read about guys huddled on their knees in the pouring rain under a poncho holding it up to let the light in on their canvas while they paint with their free hand. That is NOT what I do when it rains!


I work in the studio . . . .or go to the office . . . but if I have planned to paint, I paint. What's more, I have a commitment to paint daily. That is every day except Sunday.


So here is a little studio study. I have been watching intently while others paint. And I am surprised at how quickly I can see how they do what they do. A lady by the name of Karin Jurick (she is one of my links here) paint (most of the time) on black gesso on masonite. I could see it subcounsciously . . .then one night, I awoke with a realization that she paints on black . . .and the paintings look entirely different. So, never having done that before, I grabbed a little something mundane to paint, set up a spot light and painted it on black gessoed masonite. Kinda fun, doncha think? Let's just call this painting "Eileen." (Wait a few minutes and you'll get it! ;-)


This brings up an interesting point about painting. Choose anything! Yup! Anything for a subject. Then take the challenge to make it look interesting . . . .even extraordinary. So, here is a common ball point pen used as an advertising piece. Plucked out of a jar on my wife's desk, it flew to the studio ready for its mission to become extraordinary. I had fun with it!


By the way, It looks wonderful in a frame!


Mike

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,