Coping With Confinement



"Papaya"
Oil on linen on panel, 6" x 8"

Sometimes we have to do what's best for others. And right now, it seems that is what is called for. My wonderful wife injured her achilles tendon and is due for surgery in a day or two. Obviously, she can't move around, so I am the one to maintain life as we know it . . .cooking, cleaning and taking care of her.

In spite of the the confinement to the house, my studio is right downstairs. So, when she is resting and not in need (and the chores are done), I am in the studio fooling around. Well . . . . . . . .fooling around might not be the word for it . . . .would studying and experimenting be better? . . . . .I suppose that is what any artist would call it. Cuz, that is precisely what every movement in the studio is all about: trial and error and learning.

Thanks to Jeff Hayes and his archives, he developed a shadow box in which to control light in still life set ups. I cut up a cardboard box, painted it black and proceeded to paint little stills. What an amazing tool that is! Thanks to Jeff!! The light comes alive!

So, unless I can get out of the house for a few hours and Diana is cared for, I will be in the studio making these little wonders.

Please excuse the glare on the canvas. I haven't yet figured out how to avoid that while photographing a wet painting.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,