Chasing the light

"Sunny Cove" Oil on linen on panel 8" x 10"
SOLD


Last post I spoke of painting "Late Shadows" . . .the painting is just below this post.


I have chosen to work the hard way. That is to go out in the late afternoon around 5PM when the sun is low and moving quickly toward the horizon. There are lot of hills around the area I live, Santa Cruz, California. So, while shadows get nice and long and the light becomes golden toward the hour of 7 PM, the sun finds a place behind a hill shortly before or after 7. That means I have two hours of painting time and am chasing the light as I paint. There is no time for getting stuck or sitting back to ponder for very long. This is immediate and urgent work.


I am amazed at how quickly it all falls into place. Mind you, I have done my share of studying, so I usually have a pretty firm plan before beginning. Believe me, it helps to have a plan!


The urgency of this approach makes for non-fussy work. And . . .you either get it or you don't. This is a good thing because I don't have any room to carp or complain if it doesn't come out well. It comes out like it comes out. Period. (Fortunately, most of them make it to "acceptable")


The nice thing about doing this daily is that EVERY PAINTING COUNTS! What that means is that each painting, failure or success, is contributing to all the successes. In other words, experience matters in painting. The more one paints, the better one becomes.


The piece for today was done two weeks ago right after work. I ran to the car, drove to a nearby beach cove and set up shop. This is an impression of the place just before dusk. Again, I get excited by the results and the process!


Labels: , , , , , , , ,